Mushroom Walnut Stuffed Zucchini
- 3 large zucchini, halved
- 16 oz white mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp organic tomato paste
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos - or tamari
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup organic arugula
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Slice the zucchini in half the long way. Using a spoon, scoop out the seeds by running the spoon down the center. This creates a cavity to fill with stuffing.
- Place the zucchini on a baking sheet and sprinkle them with 1/4 tsp. of salt. Bake at 400F for 15 minutes.
- While the zucchini are baking, slice the mushrooms and add them to a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Cook the mushrooms 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. After 4-5 minutes, add 1/2 tsp. salt and continue to cook until the mushrooms have released all of their water and have started to brown.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the mushrooms and cook over medium low heat until the liquid has cooked off (about 2-3 minutes) and arugula has wilted.
- After 15 minutes, remove the zucchini from the oven and divide the mushroom mixture between them.
- Return the stuffed zucchini to the oven for 5 additional minutes. Serve hot from the oven
- This recipe can be doubled or tripled. be aware cooking times will change on a doubled or tripled recipe.
- These boats can be made up to 4 days in advance. Place them in an air tight container and reheat using the oven, an air fryer or the microwave
- You can make and freeze the stuffing ahead of time and frozen it will last for up to 2 months.
- You can substitute gluten free tamari for the coconut aminos
- You can substitute pecans, almonds, hemp heart, pumpkin seeds, or sunflower seeds for the walnuts